My mom was about to throw away nearly an entire loaf of Italian bread, which I thought was quite a shame… so I decided to make a batch of croutons instead :). I looked up a basic how-to and added some of my favorite flavors to the mix. They turned out great! And made the house smell deliciously of pizza when they were in the oven.
- 4 slices stale, Italian style bread
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1-2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or any other light oil)
Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Slice the bread into even-sized cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, spices, and parmesan cheese.
- Toss the bread to coat with the oil mixture. Try to coat all the pieces.
- On an ungreased baking pan or sheet, spread the bread pieces in a single layer (don’t crowd the pieces).
- Bake at 325°F for 10-15 minutes (depending on how toasty you like your croutons), turning the pieces about halfway through the baking time.