Another makeup declutter, and a new name for the series: Minimalist Transitions.
This is not the first time I’ve culled my bag collection, but it may be the most brutal. Though, perhaps not. These are bags I held on to the last time, because they were expensive or they had sentimental value or they might still come in handy. Except, I haven’t touched any of them in over a year (2-3 years for the last two). It’s time to stop holding on to things I don’t use.
I’m not sure if I’m going to try to sell these. I tried selling the pink one and it never sold. I haven’t the patience for ebay slow sales, so I may just donate.
Firstly, a long overdue empties featuring a few items from Project Use it Up 🙂 (success!)
I also used up two fandom tea samples from Adagio Teas (decaf rooibos blends that were great for after dinner), and a pen(!). Being a pen hoarder, every pen is an accomplishment.
And, since I was on vacation, I decided to give my closet and makeup collection another cull. The result, 1 bag of clothes (mostly winter and workwear) and a few products that were lackluster or caused irritation (or both).
However, as it was my birthday on Tuesday, I did receive some newness, and made a few additions to my summer wardrobe.
Presents from the boy, new teas and a teapet (also Adagio), new treats, 1 tank, 1 blouse, 1 long-sleeve tee, a flashy necklace for flashy days, and a pair of strappy Crocs (my version of rain boots for work days).
Also, a travel size lippie from Milk makeup in O.G. Red (love it!), a tissue mask, and my birthday gift from Sephora; plus, a tube of Kosas lipstick in Royal (these feel so soft and nourishing, with brilliant color).
I have the flu! Which means I had a lot of time to sort through my bedroom and make some decisions. This is a fairly small declutter, but after the last two rounds of decluttering, I am down to those items I thought stood a chance. They didn’t, but I sometimes I find it better to wait than to live with regret.
I was going to film a video, but these items are not revolutionary, so a post will suffice. I also tossed my empties. I was in the mood to purge and decided I could live without sharing my thoughts on mediocre products.
pictured from left to right:
- hair clips (assorted): My scalp reacted to these. Not sure if it’s the material or the tiny metal parts, but it was no bueno.
- Honest Beauty creme foundation in Linen: I never really loved this. I thought about returning it at first, but decided to work with it instead. I found that the best application was skin to skin, patted on with fingers and blended with a brush, but the overall experience was mediocre and often patchy. I used it as a concealer more than a foundation, and now it’s well past the best by stage and I hit pan long ago. Tossed.
- Hurraw balms in cherry and earl grey: They dried my lips. Did not moisturize at all.
- elf lip stain: It’s ok, but it dries my lips the more I apply it.
- Whole Foods dry skin hand lotion in vanilla amber: I like these lotions, but this scent is a little to heady for me.
- Hourglass mineral veil: This was a sample and I’m unlikely to ever use it. Toss.
- Assorted brushes: I have too many and I don’t use any of these regularly. Toss.
- Assorted samples: Red Apple lipstick, Buxom eyeshadow, Kjaer Weis eye shadow. These were nice, glad I sampled rather than purchased.
- hair stick: like the clips, there’s just something about the material that doesn’t jive with my sensitive scalp.
- Bare Minerals eye shadow (pink and smokey gray), Honey Bee Gardens shadow in Chai: I hate loose shadows. I don’t know why I even try.
- Pixi shadow palette in gold: I like the colors, but the pigmentation is kind of weak. Replaced with an elf palette that works much better.
- OPI gold matte polish: I like a nice gold for the holidays, but I’m not crazy about this formula.
- Red Apple Lipstick in Audrey, Nars lipstick in Fast Ride: Audrey is past it’s use by and the formula went off. It smells really strong and feels slicker than before, and the color seems to be darker than when I purchased it. Fast Ride is nice, but it looks too much like Glossier Jam, and I like Jam better.
- Elate lip to cheek color: This came in a Petit Vour box. The color is ok, but I hate that it smells like lemongrass and the packaging may be eco, but it just feels cheap.
- Sephora lip liner: I never use lip liner.
- Honey Bee Gardens eye liner in gunmetal(?); Pacifica eyeliner in jet: The HBG has glitter in it. Glitter! No good for my eyes. I like the Pacifica, but I prefer the brown.
- Johnson’s bedtime lotion: An experiment for my nighttime migraines. Fail.
- Marc Jacobs’ Dot: I like MJ scents, but Dot is a little to warm and cloying for me. I’m a Daisy girl, at best.
In lieu of a proper “view from Sunday”, I give you a quick little update on “project use it up,” wherein I commit to using the stuff I have before purchasing replacements or backups. It’s all part of my goal to live more intentionally and minimally.
My goals included using up my collection of scented candles (impulsively purchased throughout the year) and at least two of my perfumes. I used up nearly all my candles, and currently burning Wilfred Wax’s steamed&frothed, along with my favorite vanilla from IKEA, and a Healing candle from the Crystal Journey collection sold at my local Whole Foods.
Time to clean these out and repurpose!
I decided to shelve Honey & the Moon until the fall (it’s just too warm a scent for spring/summer) and am only a few spritz away from using up my spirit of moonflower from The Body Shop.
I also used up two pens, which was not part of the original plan, but deserve recognition, nonetheless. I am a pen hoarder by nature, though I’ve seriously decreased my collection over the last two years, and have made a concerted effort to only replace those I really love.
Howdy y’all! So I’m in a weird headspace… literally. Feeling tired, wired, and spacey all at once. In short, I am a squirrel. Kind of manic, but lazy at the same time. Could be hormones, could be the weirdness that comes before a migraine… could be both (probably both). Anyhow, it’s going to be a week.
But back to real talk… I’ve been adulting. It’s been a while since I took a good, hard look at my finances and spending habits. I’ve gone through at least one raise and one rent hike, so it’s about time I take a good look at where my money is going. After several failed attempts at using a cash budget and an online tracker, I’ve decided to just keep a written log of my spending—keeping my receipts, tracking my purchases, and just reviewing where my $ is going at the end of the week, when I’ll pop it into a spreadsheet and tally up the amount. I tried tracking in my bullet journal, but that just didn’t work, so I’m using a dedicated notepad just for spending.
I’m fine when it comes to money, but I would like to scale back and take better control of my spending. Mostly impulse buys… and coffee. That’s kind of a problem, but one I hope to address by building better habits. We’ll see.
No video last week because life was a whirl…
This week, I’m reviewing my scents and analyzing my current collection. Two of the scents mentioned are part of my “project use it up“, so those will be in constant rotation during the coming month. My plan to is to use up what I have, cull what I don’t wear, and curate a minimalist scent wardrobe to match my mood. Baby steps. This is an edited collection and one that will be curated with time.
I said I would do it and I have… a realistic, no tidying, no hiding peek inside my closet.
I am happy to report, that I have since gone in for another round of decluttering and sorted through the show situation, and removed some of the items that I was unlikely to wear, some seasonal pieces, pants, and one of the two cocktails dresses that I mention in the video.
Just living and learning.
Another month, another bujo spread! 🙂
My spreads keep changing, but that’s what I love about this method—the ease and adaptability. Take a peek inside my February spread, along with some reflections on last month’s spread, and an intro to my new day log (who am I kidding? It’s a diary. Long story, but one that I hope to share soon).
Keep an eye out for the promised closet tour next Friday.
I completely forgot to upload a cover for this video… so the question is, make it live now or later? I choose now…
I cut my hair! And started thinking about how much my style has changed over the years. Just some thoughts and musings on style and curating a personal look.
I’ll upload a cover tonight, so all my rambling may be irrelevant in a few hours… so it goes. One of my goals this year is to learn to add music to videos and improve the quality… not sure when I’m going to find the time for that but CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!