A long overdue review of ALL THE THINGS! Supplements, skincare/bodycare, and pens(!).
I promise to list the items in coming updates. Life has been… complicated.
Follow me on
twitter | instagram | youtube | pinterest | goodreads | podcast
That was then.
This is now.
Nest Fragrances: Midnight Fleur EDP
You can’t really see it, but there’s just Midnight Fleur left for a few more weeks. Expect this in my May empties.
Verdict: I’m not usually into florals, but this is deep and sultry. Would buy again.
Tarte: Tartelette Tease eyeshadow palette
Yes! I have made some progress. Eye allergy snafus aside, this one is a winner. I’ve made some major dips in wink and first kiss, and seeing some progress on heartbreaker and crush.
Verdict: A good, versatile palette that works for day or night. Great for neutral looks or a natural, smokey eye. One of the few palettes that doesn’t irritate my eyes or lids.
Lipsticks: Kosas Rosewater & Besame Red Velvet
This is the real challenge: using up a tube of lipstick before it goes bad. Red Velvet is on the cusp of going off, so I’m planning to try to wear it more often in the coming weeks. Marking my progress really helps and makes me feel good about my effort.
Verdict: Rosewater will forever be my perfect, pink lip. My keepcup does not love it when I wear this red.
I also shared some thoughts in my recent makeup declutter video.
Are you doing a project pan? How do you stay motivated to stick with it?
Another month, another batch of empties. The usual suspects (supplements), hair care, wooden toothbrushes, pens, and more.
Friends, I’m doing it… I’m hopping on the #projectpan train.
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know I’ve made some serious strides towards adopting a more conscious, minimal lifestyle (note: my minimalism may not look like your minimalism and that’s ok). I’ve been posting regular empties and “project use it up” updates, but this is the first time that I will be committing to a Project Pan.
I recently posted a makeup capsule where I shared all the products I currently own (give or take a couple of products that were in my bag at the time), and I’ve selected 4 items to use up, or make a serious dent in by the end of the year.
- Besame’s 1946 red velvet lipstick (aka the Agent Carter lipstick): This is a perfect shade of deep red on me, but it’s starting to go off and I want to use it before I lose it. I’ve been saving it like it’s a rare, precious thing. No more!
- Kosas Rosewater: I love this lipstick. It is the best “your lips but better” shade. Unlike red velvet, I’ve been wearing on a regular basis from day 1. I’ve never used up an entire tube of lipstick *gasp*, so this will be an easy victory.
- Tarte’s tartelette tease eyeshadow palette: So far, so good on the eyelid dermatitis issue… If all goes well, I see myself hitting pan on first kiss, wink, and bff in a few months.
- Nest Fragrances Midnight Fleur: Yes, I’m including fragrances in this pan. Scent is an essential part of my beauty routine (I was spoiled by parents who love wearing fragrances), and this is a lovely floral that doesn’t make me want to gag. Originally part of a duo, I used up the other scent last year. While I have several other fragrances to work my way through, I can see myself returning to Nest in the future.
I believe in SMART goals and this seems doable. Want a glimpse at the other products in my collection? Check out the video below.
Are you a recovering makeup junkie? Working on your own #projectpan?
Let me know in the comments 🙂
Another round of empties… and it’s a total mixed bag!
Another month of empties. Some supplements (if you’re a repeat reader, you’ll know I’ve been experimenting with supplements to alleviate PCOS and thyroid symptoms. if you’re new, hi!), beauty, hair, and coffee related things.
- OLLY Restful Sleep – after weeks of sleeplessness, restlessness, and insomnia, I was desperate. I heard that L-theanine could help, so I decided to try these gummies; they have melatonin, L-theanine, and herbs. And they WORK! I never liked the idea of gummy supplements, but there’s something about this particular medium that my body likes when it comes to melatonin. I’m currently using the VitaFusion gummies and separate L-theanine capsules, and I’m sleeping at last.
- Solgar Vitamin E – I was taking these in conjunction with Selenium for my thyroid. I am currently taking a multivitamin that includes Selenium, but I may try vitamin E again (noticed that my skin looked great and my migraines seemed to improve – need another try).
- Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle – liver support for PCOS.
- AuraCacia Sweet Orange essential oil – I love citrus scents. One of my favorites.
- ACURE day cream – so I use ACURE a lot… this is an old standard whenever I need a bit of extra moisture.
- ACURE radically rejuvenating cleansing cream – probably my favorite evening cleanser. Very gentle. I use it as my first cleanse to get things off.
- Juice Beauty Mineral Moisturizer, sheer – I prefer the tinted version of this, but the sheer is clear enough that I can get away with wearing it without makeup.
- giovanni 2chic Ultra-revive conditioner – My ends became extra dry when I had some ombré put in, so I went back to using conditioner. I liked this one, but I’m currently trying the purple Repairing conditioner from the same line and find that I prefer that one.
- Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee mix, Create with Lion’s Mane & Chaga – so I decided to try mushroom coffee. I can’t say I noticed a difference in my energy, but it was nice to try. I did, however, taste the mushroom. Maybe it’s just me—I am hyper sensitive to tastes and smells. Not unpleasant, just weird.
- Vital Proteins Collagen Creamer, coconut – I really wanted to love this, but the coconut milk just doesn’t dissolve very well. Still find that I prefer the basic collagen peptides mix.
Another month, another round of stuff I used up.
Kicking it off with the supplements… my doctor is in awe of my self-experimenting and documentation.
- Vital Proteins Collagen Beauty Water: Watermelon Mint – Have to admit, this tastes pretty awful until you get used to the flavor. I’d much rather use the Collagen Peptides, but I decided to try this to flavor my water during the summer. I used it up, but it took some time. After trying a different flavor (and finding it just as bad), I’ll be sticking to the Peptides in future. I take collagen for my joints and find that it does ease my aches. Also, an extra source of protein since I tend to have a carb heavy diet on most days (especially after going mostly plant-based).
- Florastor – I had a nasty bout of tonsillitis in July (still not over it), and had to take a round of antibiotics. Once upon an infection, a doctor recommended this brand and I turn to it whenever I need to take antibiotics.
- Nature’s Way DIM-Plus – My first bottle and not my last. I started taking DIM because it works to balance estrogen in the body. I’ve been taking it for three months and have seen a significant change in my charts, as well as my overall mood and health. I’ve had fewer migraines since taking this and I am convinced this is due to the estrogen that it helps metabolize (I take it with milk thistle to detox my liver – where excess estrogen is stored).
- Vitacost Selenium – Selenium is important for thyroid health and *newsflash* I’m hypothyroid. I recently started a multi that includes selenium, so I’m not supplementing for the moment. I took it in conjunction with Vitamin E and noticed some improvement in my nails (there is a kind of nail splitting that happens when thyroid hormones are not being produced or taken up by the body).
- Solgar B-complex 50 – Not supplementing at the moment because of the multi noted above, but I used to take it for energy and metabolism. Sometimes, it made me a little too hungry.
On to the products…
- Suntegrity 5-in-1 in Fair – I’ve tried the Suntegrity Light, which is too warm on me, and decided to give Fair a chance. It’s nice, but still not my favorite. I’m currently using their moisturizing primer, which has a different texture and no tint, but smells very strongly of orange jellies.
- Kiss My Face Triple Action – My favorite brand of SLS, Fluoride-Free toothpaste 🙂
- Andalou Naturals A Path of Light hand cream in Lavender – At first, I hated the smell. I don’t love lavender (I meant to buy the citrus one and grabbed this one by mistake), but I grew used to the smell and I really enjoyed the moisture.
- ACURE Brilliantly Brightening scrub (trial size) – My BF recently noticed the number of ACURE products in my bathroom… they work well and are an affordable eco option if you’re trying to switch to a more natural skincare routine. I like this scrub, but the full size tends to go bad in my shower if I don’t use it quickly, because it’s so hot in my apartment. This trial was just right.
- Honest Beauty cleanser (trial size) – This was part of a Target beauty box. I always wanted to try the Honest cleanser and I’m glad I got to use a trial because it’s not a keeper. I used it while traveling and had to wash my face two or three times to get the makeup off. I ended up using it as a second cleanse to finish it up. Not buying a full size.
- Ulta Luxurious Cleansing Body Wash in Coconut + Almond Milk – Have to admit, this was an impulse buy that was on clearance, but I like a bit of bubble in my bath. Nice scent.
The red and green ones are actually declutters. I gave up on trying to use them because they were always scratchy and dry. They were part of a set that I plan to give away at work (where pens walk away on a regular basis). I used up the yoobi and the Faber-Castell was a mediocre brush pen for calligraphy that didn’t quite work out.
What I used up in May. Body care and supplements.
- Me! bath tini ME! Lavendar Lullaby bath bombs: These were part of a Target sample both and proved to be a pleasant surprise. It brought three little bombs and they were perfect and nicely scented.
- Dr. Bronner’s 18-in-1 Baby Unscented Pure Castille Soap: This is the workhorse: hand soap, brush cleaner, body wash, I may not have 18 uses, but it’s a fave.
- Oral B floss: True confession: I hate flossing. My teeth are crazy tight and I’ve yet to find a floss that doesn’t get stuck. This one was ok.
- Weleda Sea Buckthorn Creamy Body Wash: Another sample bag trial. Smelled like orange peels and felt like the L’occitane Almond Shower Oil.
- wowe wooden toohbrush: Not really an empty so much as a new addition… I went through all the plastic toothbrushes I had and made the switch to bamboo. So far, I’m impressed by the quality and like that they come in a 4-pack that will get me through the year. They’re no more expensive than plastic brushes. win-win.
- NOW Foods Super Enzymes: The best and always a repurchase. I started using these after my gallbladder surgery, when I started to have issues with food intolerance. They make my tummy happy and I can double up when I choose to indulge in something problematic, like ice cream.
- PB8 probiotics: Another frequent product. I alternate brands, but this is a trust fallback. As with the enzymes, probiotics keep my gut working.
Just another random assortment of empties. #declutter
- ACURE radically rejuvenating under eye hydrogel mask: I was quite impressed by these. They really soothed my under eye area. I keep them in the fridge and have already bought more…
- ACURE facial cleansing gel: Picked this up after I ran out of my last wash. Nice and gentle, but it did not last as long as the cleansing creme from the same brand.
- Kiss my Face moisture shave: Lasts FOREVER and makes my skin incredibly soft. The peppermint is especially cooling during the summer. Always repurchase.
- Solgar Vitamin D3 2200 IU: I regularly take Vitamin D to help with my lack of energy (hello, thyroid). I amped it up to 2200 IU, but I’ve since switched back to 1000 IU because I’ve started taking Cod Liver Oil again (which also has Vitamin D).
- gaia herbs Turmeric Supreme Joint: I don’t take this regularly, but it’s helpful when my TMJ is flaring and I think it has some effect on my migraines (needs further testing). I’ve switched back to the Extra Strength, which is a slightly different blend of herbs.
- Japanese green tea, Twining’s pure rooibos red tea, and Zhena’s Ambrosia Plum white tea – three teas done!
- Tea India Chai Moments Chai Tea Latte Mix, Ginger: The last of the chai mix I purchased at the Diwali festival. Will miss it.
- Traditional Medicinals Health Cycle: A regular repurchase. Helps with cramps and makes my stomach feel less awful.