My mom was about to throw away nearly an entire loaf of Italian bread, which I thought was quite a shame… so I decided to make a batch of croutons instead :). I looked up a basic how-to and added some of my favorite flavors to the mix. They turned out great! And made the house smell deliciously of pizza when they were in the oven.
Gricel’s Garlic Parmesan Croutons
- 4 slices stale, Italian style bread
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1-2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or any other light oil)
Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Slice the bread into even-sized cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, spices, and parmesan cheese.
- Toss the bread to coat with the oil mixture. Try to coat all the pieces.
- On an ungreased baking pan or sheet, spread the bread pieces in a single layer (don’t crowd the pieces).
- Bake at 325°F for 10-15 minutes (depending on how toasty you like your croutons), turning the pieces about halfway through the baking time.
I also made more Dulce de Coco because it was such a hit with the family :).